Most Frequently asked questions
See the most common questions asked by students.
Most asked questions and answers about EC Live
Top questions & answers
When you learn English online with EC, lessons will be delivered through Microsoft Teams, a great platform for remote learning that works from any desktop, tablet or phone.
Microsoft Teams has everything teachers need to create engaging learning environments, from content and assignments to collaborative classrooms and chats.
We will email you with instructions of how to log into the Teams website. You will then have free access to the full suite of Microsoft Office products for one year!
If you have any issues logging in, or you do not receive the email mentioned above, please contact us at [email protected]
The minimum age to attend our online courses is 16.
Yes, you can, but your course will stop week by week as well and you will break the flow of your learning experience. We highly recommend booking a minimum of 4 weeks at a time.
- Course eBooks powered by National Geographic Learning.
- Access to our qualified English teachers.
- 90 minutes a day of face-to-face live online English teaching (2 x 45-minute sessions with a 5-minute break in-between).
- 30 minutes a day of structured collaboration with your classmates.
- Full access to our student portal, MyEC, with many self-study resources (over 1,500 grammar exercises and 200 Flashpoints – up-to-date articles or videos on a current news topic with a set of exercises around them).
- Regular assessment, designed to help you progress.
- Free access to Microsoft Office for the duration of your course, including Word, PowerPoint, and much more!
- Ability to upgrade and add private one-to-one lessons.
Pre-Class Assignment (15 minutes)
- Pre-class assignment for students to prepare for their lesson– this could be reading a book or article, watching a video, etc
- Students study materials at their own pace, allowing them to come to the classroom discussions feeling confident and prepared to participate fully in the lesson.
Online Session (90 minutes)
Students collaborate via video with small groups of 4-8 students and the teacher where you outline your objectives and goals, discuss the questions and task from the pre-class assignment, review any questions, and set up the post-class collaborative activity as well as the pre-class assignment for the next day. Students should be prepared for a much more intensive class than a normal face-to-face session!
10 mins: introduction and catch up
5 mins: objectives and goals
20 mins: discussing the questions & text
20 mins: reviewing any grammar or vocabulary questions
20 mins: practising the language in context
15 mins: setting up a post-lesson task and assigning pre-task for next day
Post-Session Activity (30 minutes)
After the online lesson the teacher will assign a collaboration task to be uploaded on Teams
This activity allows students to process and consolidate what they learned in the teacher-led session.
It also helps the student to understand and assess their own learning and to become a more effective learner.
Students will discuss virtually in pairs or a small group and teacher will monitor the chat.
Lessons have a maximum of 10 students per class.
Yes, you have lesson time options depending on your course. All times below are London times:
EC Live Premium:
08:00, 12:00, 16:00, 00:00
EC Live Standard:
EC Live Business Modules:
Please note that the clock changes in the UK in the last week of October and last week of March.
All our teachers meet the qualification requirements of the British Council accreditation – CELTA or equivalent is the minimum qualification.
We will ask you to complete your placement test through MyEC a few days before your starting date, and we will assign you to the according level depending on your results.